- Poste : Interim Assistant Archivist/Assistant.e Archiviste temporaire.
- Employeur : Natural History Museum/Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Department Library and Archives/Dépt. Bibliothèque et Archives – Londres (United Kingdom/Royaume-Uni).
- Offre : recrutement contractuel : CDD de 6 mois à temps partiel.
- Date limite de candidature : avant le 29 octobre 2018.
[Annonce originelle rédigée en anglais]
POSTE & MISSIONS :
Role Summary : The purpose of the post is to ensure continuity of the Museum Archives services during the maternity leave of the Assistant Archivist.
- The role will involve assisting with the management and development of the Natural History Museum Archives, including providing an Archives Service for Museum staff and external visitors and promoting the use of Archives resources for research, publishing and outreach.
- The post-holder will work closely with colleagues within Library and Archives in the development of services for internal and external uses ; and also with the Museum Information Management Team.
- This is a part time role for 6 months and tasks and responsibilities will be assigned according to the hours of work and working pattern.
- The following to be adjusted to a fixed term, part-time working pattern.
Main tasks and responsibilities (job description) :
1 / Assist the Museum Archivist in the day-to-day management of the Museum’s physical records, including :
- Appraisal of records.
- Accessioning, sorting and cataloguing archival material on CALM.
- Evaluating conservation requirements of archival material, working with the Paper Conservator.
- Organizing the acquisition and retrieval of Museum records, including : liaising with Museum staff depositing material in Modern records and/or Archives.
2 / Liaise with the Information Management Team as appropriate in the management of the physical modern records to ensure the smooth transition of those records into the Museum Archives. Including maintaining the CALM database and processing material accessioning.
3 / Respond to personal, telephone, email and written enquiries from Museum staff, academic researchers and members of the public to agreed standards.
4 / Provide advice and training to users on how best to access, use and interpret archives.
5 / Promote the Archives collections and the work of the team, for example through articles, exhibitions, talks and the Library and Archives webpages.
5 / Assist the Museum Archivist and participate as appropriate in on-going development work to establish a digital archive and associated policies and procedures.
7 / Assist the Museum Archivist in planning the ongoing organization and storage of material and longterm preservation in physical and digital formats.
8 / Assist in supervising the work of project Archive assistants, interns and volunteers.
Conditions d’exercice :
- Contract Type : 6 Month Fixed-Term, Part-Time.
- Hours : 14.40 hours per week.
- Salary : £12,440 per annum plus benefits.
- Location : South Kensington.
Role competencies (requirements)
- Minimum qualification is a postgraduate qualification in archives and records management or equivalent.
- Experience of archives collections management and preservation in both physical and digital formats.
- An understanding of the legislation, including copyright and data protection, relevant to the maintenance of and access to institutional records.
- Archive cataloguing skills to recognised professional standards.
- Knowledge and experience of the CALM archives software or similar archives management system.
- Strong customer service focus, with the ability to understand user needs and engage with stakeholders of the service.
- Confident communication and interpersonal skills, particularly the proven ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Proven ability to work effectively independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to apply policies and procedures relevant to managing archives.
- Ability to work on own initiative, prioritising workloads and taking multiple tasks through to completions to achieve agreed objectives.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to undertake methodical tasks to a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to supervise the work of volunteers or staff assigned to archives related projects when required.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible.
RENSEIGNEMENTS COMPLÉMENTAIRES :
Contact for general enquiries : HR general enquiries : firstname.lastname@example.org
You should upload the following documents :
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae giving details of relevant achievements in recent posts as well as your education and professional qualifications.
- A covering letter that summarises your interest in this post, providing evidence of your ability to match the criteria outlined in the role competencies. Please ensure your letter includes details of your latest salary and notice period.
Individual cover letters and CVs submitted outside of the on-line application system will not be considered.
- Application Close Date : 9am on 29 October 2018.
- Interviews expected : 8 November 2018.
Source : Natural History Museum.