- Poste : Archivist, Head of Archives and Museum / Archiviste, Directeur des Archives et du Musée (Bethlem Museum of the Mind/Musée de la psychiatrie de l’Hôpital Bethléem).
- Employeur : South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, Department Corporate Operational Directorate, Bethlem Royal Hospital, Bethlem Art and History Collections, Bethlem Museum of the Mind – London, United Kingdom / Fondation de l’Hôpital Londres Sud et Maudsley, Direction des Opérations institutionnelles, Hôpital royal Bethléem, Collections d’art et d’histoire, Musée de la psychiatrie – Londres (Royaume-Uni).
- Cadre d’emploi/Grade : Administrative & Clerical Staff Group / Personnel administratif et de bureau.
- Offre : Permanent Job Type / Recrutement contractuel : CDI.
- Date limite de candidature : 5 mars 2019.
[Annonce originelle rédigée en anglais]
EMPLOYEUR & CONTEXTE :
Bethlem Royal Hospital is the country’s oldest psychiatric hospital. Founded in 1247, it is now part of the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM). The Museum is a recognized place of deposit for public records generated by SLaM, and is accredited by Arts Council England. It is managed on SLaM’s behalf by a registered charity, the Bethlem Art and History Collections Trust (BAHCT), and its principal funder is the Maudsley Charity.
An opportunity has arisen for a qualified and experienced Archivist to join the staff of Bethlem Museum of the Mind. Though small in size, the Museum has big aspirations, and its campaigning purpose is supported by a committed and dynamic team of staff and volunteers. It has been in its current premises since 2015 and was a finalist for the Art Fund’s ‘Museum of the Year’ award in 2016.
The Museum is appointed by the Lord Chancellor under the Public Records Act 1958 as a place of deposit for public records, as well as being accredited by Arts Council England. The other staff, besides the Museum’s Director, are a learning officer, a registrar, a documentation assistant, a front of house co-ordinator and two secretary / administrators.
POSTE & MISSIONS :
Job Reference : 334-CHE-1577062-GB.
You will be employed by the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust (SLaM) and seconded to work for the Bethlem Art & History Collections Trust (BAHCT), which manages Bethlem Museum of the Mind on behalf of SLaM.
Job Purpose : To manage SLaM’s archives service, under the general direction of the Museum’s Director.
The Archivist will be responsible for the safekeeping, arrangement and description of, and provision of access to, the public records of SLaM, its constituents and predecessors. The Archivist will also assist the Director and other members of Museum staff with any archival component of exhibition development and maintenance, in utilizing and promoting the learning potential of the archives, and in the day-to-day public facing activities of the Museum.
Key responsibilities :
1 / To be responsible to BAHCT for the safe-keeping of the public records and other archives of SLaM, and of the documents and manuscripts belonging to BAHCT which are kept with them.
2 / To continue the arrangement and description of the records, archives, documents and manuscripts, and to develop appropriate computer-based systems for listing and cataloguing.
3 / To make arrangements for staff of SLaM and members of the public to consult the records, archives, documents and manuscripts, and to supervise users and assist them in identifying material relevant to their subject of interest.
4 / To reply by email, post and telephone to enquiries relating to the records, archives, documents and manuscripts, and where possible to enquiries relating to the history of the Bethlem, Maudsley and Warlingham Park Hospitals and more generally to the history of psychiatry.
5 / To provide copies of the records, archives, documents and manuscripts (except where this is impractical or would be harmful to the documents).
6 / To arrange for conservation work to be carried out as necessary on the records, archives, documents and manuscripts.
7 / To offer professional advice on archival matters to enable SLaM to fulfil its responsibilities under the Public Records Act 1958, and other relevant legislation and guidelines.
8 / To develop policies and standards on access to the records, archives, documents and manuscripts which will enable the service to meet any requirements of inspecting organisations (such as the National Archives), or of grant-giving bodies (such as the Heritage Lottery Fund).
9 / To liaise with other departments in SLaM which are engaged in the creation and custody of current and semi-current records : to provide advice on recordkeeping requirements: to ensure that appropriate records are selected for permanent preservation and are transferred to the archives.
10 / To operate a records management service in respect of the title deeds of SLaM’s charitable estates, liaising with their solicitors and transferring and receiving documents to and from them as required.
11 / To represent SLaM and BAHCT at meetings of professional bodies and organisations relating to archives.
12 / To act as Secretary to BAHCT’s Finance and Management Committee.
13 / To advise the Director on the archival component of any exhibitions to be mounted in the present museum, in the proposed new museum or elsewhere, and to assist in planning the shared facilities in the proposed building extension and the upgrading of the Archives accommodation.
14 / To assist the Director in developing and promoting the educational use of the archives alongside that of the museum collections.
15 / To assist from time to time in admitting visitors to the Museum, and with other occasional museum-related tasks when necessary.
16 / To deputise for the Director in his absence or when required
17 / To undertake such other appropriate tasks as BAHCT may from time to time require or shall be agreed with the Director.
Conditions d’exercice :
- Job Type : Permanent / Recrutement : emploi permanent.
- Working pattern : 37.5 Hours Per week / Temps de travail : temps complet, 37,5h/semaine.
- Pay Scheme : Agenda for change.
- Pay Band : 6 / Échelle de rémunération : grade 6.
- Staff Group : Administrative & Clerical / Personnel administratif et de bureau.
- Specialty/Function : Corporate Operational Directorate.
- Salary : £32,257 – £41,308 Per Ann :
- £28,050 (Year 1, rising to £36,644 after 8 years)
- + Outer London Weighting : £4,207.50 (2019/20).
- Hold a full driving licence / Permis de conduire valide requis.
- Location/Lieu de travail : Bethlem Royal Hospital, Monks Orchard Road, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 3BX, Beckenham, UK.
General Information : All employees are expected to comply with statutory requirements and the NHS Trust’s employment policies while carrying out their work. The postholder will be encouraged to develop skills and capabilities, including participation in projects and training. Accordingly, the range of duties and responsibilities outlined above may change from time to time to reflect the changing needs of the organisation.
Equal Opportunities : The postholder must at all times carry out his/her responsibilities with due regard to the NHS Trust’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Performance Review : Overall performance will be formally assessed and reviewed regularly, with additional informal assessment taking place as necessary.
Health & Safety : All employees are subject to the Health and Safety at Work Act. The postholder is required to pro-actively comply with the duties as described by the Trust Policy and objectives for health and safety.
Confidentiality : All employees are required to work in a confidential manner in all aspects of their work.
- Essential : Diploma or Master’s degree in Archive Administration or equivalent professional qualification.
- Desirable : Registered membership of the Archives and Records Association.
- Essential :
- At least four years experience in a professional archives post.
- Experience of dealing with public records, especially health service records.
- Experience in the field of education and outreach.
Skills and Abilities :
- Essential : Understanding and experience of automated cataloguing systems.
- Desirable :
- Good organisational and communication skills.
Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of Microsoft packages, particularly Word.
- Hold a full driving licence.
- Good organisational and communication skills.
RENSEIGNEMENTS COMPLÉMENTAIRES : Auprès de :
Mrs. Heather REED – E-mail : Heather.Reed@motm.org.uk – Tel. : 020 3228 0804.
Job Reference : 334-CHE-1577062-GB.
Closing Date : 05/03/2019 / Date limite de candidature : 5 mars 2019.
Interview Date : 03/04/2019 / Date d’entretien : 3 avril 2019.
- All applications for this post need to be made online / Postuler uniquement en ligne (site Emploi du National Health Service/NHS Jobs) : cliquer sur « Apply for this job ».
- Please note that our vacancies may close before the advertised closing date if sufficient suitable applicants are received.
- Please ensure that you read and understand the Job Description and Personal Specification attached to the role. Your Statement in Support should reflect the requirements specified as your application will be judged against these criteria.
After applying via NHS Jobs, your submitted application will be imported into our preferred Third-party recruitment system. All subsequent information regarding your application will be generated from apps.trac.jobs. You will not be able to track the progress of your application or receive messages through the NHS Jobs website, and furthermore, as an employer, we will not be able to respond to any e-mails sent to us via the NHS Jobs website. By applying for this post, you are agreeing to South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust transferring the information contained in this application to its preferred applicant management system. If you are appointed to a post information will also be transferred into the national NHS Electronic Staff Records system.
Source : NHS Jobs.