- Poste : Project Archivist / Archiviste de projet.
- Employeur : Trustees of the Chatsworth Settlement and Chatsworth House Trust, Devonshire Collection Archives – Bakewell (United Kingdom) / Fondations de l’Etablissement de Chatsworth et de la Maison de Chatsworth, Service des Archives et collections du Devonshire – Bakewell (Royaume-Uni).
- Offre : full time fixed-term contract : 15 months / recrutement contractuel : CDD de 15 mois à temps complet.
- Date de prise de poste : 26th April 2021 / 26 avril 2021.
[Annonce originelle rédigée en anglais]
EMPLOYEUR & CONTEXTE : The Devonshire Collection Archives at Chatsworth are one of the most extensive privatelyheld family and estate archives in the UK, containing records spanning over 450 years. The Archives at Chatsworth are managed by a team of two professional staff, who are also responsible for managing one of the UK’s finest private book collections. The Archives & Library team is positioned within the wider Collections Department, which also oversees one of Europe’s most significant art collections and a programme of major exhibitions.
The Archives & Library team is committed to improving access to, and engagement with, the collections ; in 2020, they received an Archives Revealed Cataloguing Grant for The Devonshire Inheritance: Unlocking the Cavendish Family Papers – a project to catalogue of six of Chatsworth’s most important archives. These include :
- Key records from the time of Bess of Hardwick and other early family members (16th-17th centuries).
- Papers of the philosopher Thomas Hobbes, who worked for the family in the 17th century.
- A large and highly significant sequence of family correspondence and papers dating from the 16th to 19th centuries.
- Papers of the 4th Duke of Devonshire, who briefly served as Prime Minister in the 18th century.
- And correspondence of the 8th Duke of Devonshire, a leading statesman of the late 19th century.
This is an exciting initiative for Chatsworth, which will see full item-level catalogues published via The National Archives Discovery resource, marking a major step forward in improving the accessibility of the collections.
POSTE & MISSIONS : As a result, we have an exciting opportunity for a qualified archivist to join our friendly team to produce detailed, high-quality catalogues of the six collections forming the focus of the project.
You will also enhance access and engagement with these collections through presentations, articles, training sessions, and social media.
In addition to this you will have the opportunity to produce articles and news pieces for internal and external publications, deliver training sessions for our Guides, and talks for the public and specialist audiences.
Key responsibilities :
- To produce detailed item-level catalogues of the designated six archives in accordance with in-house guidelines, national and international standards.
- To develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the subject areas covered in these archives to inform other project activities.
- To contribute to social media initiatives associated with the project, including a monthly project blog post, posts to the Chatsworth Art Instagram account, and Twitter campaigns as required.
- To produce articles and news pieces for internal and external publications.
- To deliver training sessions for the Guides, and talks for the public and more specialist audiences such as the Patrons of Chatsworth.
- To assist with external enquiries relating to the collections forming the focus of the project.
- To provide information about the collections to colleagues and other departments within the Trust as requested.
- To compile relevant information about historic employees from the archives and add it to the online Historic Servants and Staff database.
- To produce content for the Collections section of the website.
- To contribute to the production of a themed learning resource in collaboration with Archives & Library colleagues and the Devonshire Educational Trust.
- To report to the Project Steering Group as required.
- To work as an effective member of the Collections Department, supporting and assisting colleagues and management when necessary.
Conditions d’exercice :
- Contract Type : This is a full time, fixed-term (15-months) post working 37.5 hours per week, generally Monday to Friday.
- The successful candidate will commence in post on 26th April 2021.
- Salary : £27,620 Per Annum.
- Location : Bakewell.
- Recrutement : Il s’agit d’un contrat à durée déterminée (CDD) de 15 mois.
- Poste à temps complet : 37,5 h/semaine, en général du lundi au vendredi.
- Début de la mission : 26 avril 2021.
- Rémunération : 27 620 Livres Sterling/an.
- Lieu de travail : poste basé à Bakewell.
- You will be organised, enthusiastic and motivated, with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- You will be educated to degree level with a postgraduate qualification in Archives & Records Management from a course which is recognised by the UK’s Archives and Records Association.
- Your IT skills will be excellent, and you will have practical experience of archive cataloguing systems and collection management systems.
Person specification :
- A professional postgraduate qualification in Archives & Records Management from a course which is recognised by the UK’s Archives and Records Association.
- Excellent IT skills, including experience of archive cataloguing systems and collection management systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and demonstrated ability to communicate with a range of audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills.
- Ability to plan and manage challenging workloads to meet project deadlines.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently using own initiative and judgement.
- Ability to document large collections whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Commitment to the Devonshire Group’s core values: always improving; decency; and being inclusive.
- Experience of working on large family and estate collections covering a broad chronological period.
- Good palaeography skills including ability to read Secretary Hand.
- Ability to read Latin.
- Experience of working with KE-EMu software.
- Reference : OCT20208531.
- Please incorporate a cover letter into the first page of your CV document when attaching this to your online application, explaining why you would be an ideal candidate for this role.
- Interviews will take place on 13th or 14th January 2021 by Zoom.
- Référence du poste : OCT20208531.
- Merci d’inclure dans votre candidature en ligne (renseigner le formualaire en ligne – site du recruteur) une lettre de motivation avec votre CV, expliquant pourquoi vous seriez un*e candidat*e idéal*e pour ce poste.
- Les entretiens auront lieu le 13 ou le 14 janvier 2021, via l’application Zoom.
Source : Devonshire Group.